~This clinical presentation will focus on a couple in treatment using a psychoanalytic systems theory framework. Transference-countertransference, unconscious contracts, complementarity, and competitiveness will be among the themes discussed.
- Define psychoanalytic systems couples therapy.
- Identify three basic tenets of psychoanalytic systems couples therapy.
- Discuss the role of counter-transference in treating couples.
- Describe the unique aspects of transference in treating couples.
- Discuss the impact of cultural identification in psychoanalytic couples therapy.
~Felise B. Levine, Ph.D., is a licensed psychologist, a psychoanalyst, and a family/couples therapist in private practice in La Jolla. She is co-author, with James L. Framo and Timothy T. Weber, of the book Coming Home Again: A Family-of-Origin Consultation. She is past president of the San Diego Psychological Association and serves on the faculty of the Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy Program at SDPC.
~Sheila A. Sharpe, Ph.D., specializes in treating couples and individuals in private practice in La Jolla, California. She is the author of the book The Ways We Love: A Developmental Approach to Treating Couples (Guilford Press, 2000) and has published several articles on couples therapy. She is on the faculty of the San Diego Psychoanalytic Center and teaches in the Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy Program.